One of the most intriguing NAS systems we have seen in some time has landed. The QNAP TS-x77 is a line of three commercially available NAS units that feature the AMD Ryzen CPUs. Using the AMD Ryzen in these NAS units is not for storage. The primary reason one uses a large CPU in a NAS unit is if you are running multiple server applications on the machine. A 12-bay NAS in 2017 with a 500W PSU is impressive, but not what you would want for low power consumption. At the time with 8 cores, 16 threads and up to 64GB of RAM, QNAP is squarely targeting the SMB / SOHO server space.
About the QNAP TS-x77 Series
Here is an excerpt from the QNAP press release on the server units:
The TS-x77 series includes models with AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (8-cores/16-threads) and AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (6-cores/12-threads) processors that support AES-NI encryption acceleration and up to 64 GB DDR4 RAM. Two M.2 SATA 6 GB/s SSD slots are provided for cache acceleration or high-performance storage pools. Every model in the series provides USB 3.1 Gen2 10Gbps Type-A and Type-C ports, and three PCIe slots for incredible expansion potential. Supported PCIe devices include a graphics card, 10GbE/40GbE NICs, PCIe NVMe SSD, USB 3.1 expansion cards, and QM2 cards (that add additional M.2 SSDs or 10GbE connectivity). Incorporating incredible performance, reliability, and scalability, the TS-x77 series provides an exceptional storage solution for diverse business IT environments.
Although they are marketed as NAS units, it is clear that QNAP is moving up the stack into compute and applications even in desktop form factors with this launch.
At launch, there are six models to choose from that range from a 6 core and 6 bay model up to an 8 core 12 bay model with 64GB of RAM:
- TS-1277-1700-64G: 12-bay, AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 8 cores 16 threads 3.0 GHz processor (Turbo Core 3.7 GHz), 64 GB RAM, 550W power supply
- TS-1277-1700-16G: 12-bay, AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 8 cores 16 threads 3.0 GHz processor (Turbo Core 3.7 GHz), 16 GB RAM, 550W power supply
- TS-1277-1600-8G: 12-bay, AMD Ryzen™ 5 1600 6 cores 12 threads 3.2 GHz processor (Turbo Core 3.6 GHz), 8 GB RAM, 550W power supply
- TS-877-1700-16G: 8-bay, AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 8 cores 16 threads 3.0 GHz processor (Turbo Core 3.7 GHz), 16 GB RAM, 450W power supply
- TS-877-1600-8G: 8-bay, AMD Ryzen™ 5 1600 6 cores 12 threads 3.2 GHz processor (Turbo Core 3.6 GHz), 8 GB RAM, 450W power supply
- TS-677-1600-8G: 6-bay, AMD Ryzen™ 5 1600 6 cores 12 threads 3.2 GHz processor (Turbo Core 3.6 GHz), 8 GB RAM, 250W power supply