Hi my name is Patrick, and I am Editor-in-Chief at ServeTheHome. After working for almost a decade in a big firm’s high-tech consulting practice by day, I left the firm to build STH into the site you see today. This site was originally started as a tool to document my personal after-hours continuous learning endeavors. Over time it turned into a resource that tens of thousands of people visit daily.
STH may say “home” in the title which confuses some. Home is actually a reference to a users /home/ directory in Linux. We scale from those looking to have in home or office servers all the way up to some of the largest hosting organizations in the world. This site is dedicated to helping professionals and enthusiasts stay atop of the latest server, storage and networking trends.
Today, ServeTheHome also features content from a number of writers as well as a great community that uses STH as a focal point. Feel free to take a look around and join the community in our forums.
Guest Articles by Patrick Kennedy
From time to time I write pieces for other publications. Here is a sample:
- Selecting the Right Processor for Windows Home Server (2011) Vail – WeGotServed 27 July 2010
- Intel vPro: Three Generations of Remote Management Tom’s Hardware 27 September 2011
- The Home Server Show: Episode 171 Home Server Show 2 February 2012
- The Home Server Show: Episode 183 Home Server Show 17 May 2012
- Three Xeon E5 Server Systems From Intel, Tyan, And Supermicro Tom’s Hardware 30 May 2012
- Intel vPro In 2012, Small Business Advantage, And Anti-Theft Tech Tom’s Hardware 21 September 2012
- Xeon Phi: Intel’s Larrabee-Derived Card In TACC’s Supercomputer Tom’s Hardware 12 November 2012
- Intel Xeon E5-2600 V3 Review: Haswell-EP Redefines Fast Tom’s Hardware 8 September 2014
- AnandTech Podcast 041: Let’s Talk Server with Patrick Kennedy AnandTech 28 February 2017
If you would like to discuss writing a guest article for your publication feel free to contact me via the contact us page.
What information do we collect?
We collect information from you when you register on our site, subscribe to our newsletter, respond to a survey or fill out a form.
When ordering or registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your: name or e-mail address. You may, however, visit our site anonymously.
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To personalize your experience. Your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs.
- To improve our website. We continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you.
- To improve customer service. Your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs
- To process transactions. Your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering the purchased product or service requested.
- To send periodic emails
The email address you provide may be used to send you information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions. We will not sell this e-mail address to third parties.
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit, or access your personal information.
Yes (Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computers hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Third party links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
California Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
Because we value your privacy we have taken the necessary precautions to be in compliance with the California Online Privacy Protection Act. We therefore will not distribute your personal information to outside parties without your consent.
As part of the California Online Privacy Protection Act, all users of our site may make any changes to their information at anytime by logging into their control panel and going to the ‘Edit Profile’ page. Note: At this time only the forums at http://forums.servethehome.com have registration capabilities as we do try to limit the amount of information we collect.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act), we do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our website, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older.