Today, April 2, 2016 we are going to have the inaugural STH Meetup at Hacker Dojo in Mountain View, California. We have been a bit cryptic in terms of some agenda items because they concerned a number of products launched at Intel Cloud Day 2016 on March 31, 2016 in San Francisco, CA. An example of this is the Intel Xeon E5-2600 V4 series launch which happened this week. Here is the final agenda for today
For the event, feel free to use the hashtag #STHmeetup to post pictures from the event for those that cannot attend in person.
We are piggybacking on a Supermicro/ Intel event where the newest Intel platforms are going to be displayed. Since we managed to get the go-ahead for some “low cost” space, we are going to hold our meetup at that event. We have the space from 1-4PM and will have snacks for folks. There is a larger area for general meet and greet as well as showcases. Supermicro/ Intel will also have a series of talks in a breakout room during the event that will be available to STH members and the Hacker Dojo communities. The main purpose of this event is to socialize with other STH members.
Key Activities for Today
- 1PM – 1:30 PM – Meet and Greet with the STH community and introduction to the event\
- 1:30PM – 2PM – New platform discussion (update: Intel Xeon E5-2600 V4) – David Kanter a processor analyst at the Microprocessor Report and proprieter of RealWorldTech.com to co-present this one with the Supermicro PMs that can show off some of the implications for systems
- 2PM – 2:30PM Intel Xeon D MicroLab – This will include a recent STH build we will be using for a few projects
- 2:30PM – 3PM – NVMe storage discussion – See new solutions and ask questions about the new Intel P3320 and P3520 SSDs launched this week
- 3PM – 3:30PM Meet the Press! Featuring Patrick Kennedy (STH), William Harmon (STH), Ian Cutress (Anandtech), Ganesh T S (Anandtech), and David Kanter (RealWorldTech)
- 3:30PM – 4PM Swag giveaway and more socialization time
- 4PM event conclusion
Additional activities happening in the lobby area
- Hands-on time with hardware – I have gotten previews of the hardware at the event and we are going to have some cool stuff to check out. We are even going to have some of the higher-end platforms to see in person like the Supermicro MicroCloud.
- Bring your own “home” server showcase – Please do keep these relatively compact. We now have many more folks than we were expecting so space will be tight. Please send me a note if you plan to bring something.
- Social time – Meet other STH members!
- Hacker Dojo donation
- Super swag giveaway – still working on what this might be but we will likely have opportunities to walk away with some swag.
We are also working on getting a few giveaways for the event.
Logistics and Parking
The event will be from 1PM to 4PM, today, on Saturday April 2, 2016 in Mountain View, California. Here is the event tracker at Hacker Dojo in case you are asked what you are there for. Hacker Dojo does have limited parking. Luckily, around the area there are a number of office parks that are mostly empty on the weekends. During the week, there is little street parking, but over the weekend there is plenty of street parking if you head down the street towards the Samsung North America development center.
Here is a link to the official STH Meetup group that we will use for this and future STH Meetups.