Following the Intel Xeon W Workstation Processor launch today, Gigabyte has announced a new Xeon W based motherboard. The Gigabyte MW51-HP0 harkens back to some of the high-end C602, X79, C612 and X99 motherboard designs with ultra high-end expandability and features.
The motherboard takes advantage of the full Intel Xeon W capabilities as it has a LGA 2066 socket along with four DDR4 DIMM channels at 2 DPC with eight DDR4 slots.
Gigabyte added an additional SATA III controller to bring the SATA III port count back up to 10. There are also M.2 and U.2 (SFF-8643) drive connections on the motherboard for NVMe SSDs.
Notably, there are seven PCIe x16 slots where Gigabyte is able to use PLX PCIe switches to power the seven PCIe x16 slots.
Beyond the storage and add-in card expandability, Gigabyte also includes dual Intel i210 1GbE LAN ports, USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 ports (Type A and Type C).
Gigabyte MW510-HP0 Key Specs
Here are the key specs for the motherboard:
- Intel Xeon W-series Processor Family
- Intel C422 Express Chipset
- Quad Channel RDIMM/LRDIMM DDR4, 8 x DIMMs
- Intel VROC ready
- ASMedia 2142 USB 3.1 Gen 2 USB controller
- Realtek ALC1150 HD audio codec
- 2 x GbE LAN ports (Intel I210)
- 8 x SATA III 6Gb/s ports from C422, supports SATA DOM
- 2 x SATA III 6Gb/s ports from Marvell 88SE9172 controller
- Ultra-Fast M.2 and U.2 with PCIe Gen3 x4 interface
- 4 x Full speed PCIe Gen3 x16 slots; total 7 x expansion PCIe x16 slots
If you are looking for a single-socket high-end workstation motherboard, this is it. In this generation, the professional workstation Xeon parts have significantly better capabilities than the consumer high-end desktop parts. We will be testing the Intel Xeon W-2100 series in this motherboard as soon as we get a chance.