Today Dell announced that the Dell PowerEdge 13th generation servers have been updated to support the Intel Xeon E5-2600 V4 series. You can see our in-depth analysis of the Intel Xeon E5-2600 v4 processors at STH and some initial benchmarks of the two top-end SKUs the Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 and Xeon E5-2698 V4 processors. Dell is one of the largest server manufacturers and is updating its 13th generation servers as of today. We expect the Intel Xeon E5-2600 V4 processors to be the primary processor choice for the 13th generation servers going forward.
ROUND ROCK, TEXAS, March 31, 2016 – Dell today announced momentum with its Dell PowerEdge 13th generation servers, its most advanced and easy-to-manage server portfolio to-date. Customers in more than 65 countries worldwide rely on Dell PowerEdge servers to address and optimize workloads at any level, which will now include over 20% improved performance with differentiated air-cooled support and over 11% enhanced memory bandwidth aligned to Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v4 updates; shipping today on the most advanced line up of Dell PowerEdge 13th generation rack, tower, blade and converged infrastructure architecture servers.
Mega-trends including social, mobile, analytics and cloud are rewriting the rules for IT. As a result, pressure on IT to deliver superior performance on a day-to-day basis and rapidly respond to changes in the business environment is greater than ever before. The design of the PowerEdge 13th generation servers helps customers address these challenges so they can focus on business growth and innovation.
“Customers are driving the rise of the software defined data center, using workload-oriented solutions that are increasingly compute-centric,” said Ashley Gorakhpurwalla, vice president and general manager, Dell Server Solutions. “Dell’s global x86 leadership gains, particularly in blade servers, are a terrific indicator of how we deliver on these customer needs. Dell PowerEdge 13th generation servers include practical innovations, based on product knowledge that spans our 20-year history, to deliver the right functionality to enable customers’ future-ready datacenters.”
“Organizations rely on partners to provide market leading innovation, assets and services that address the dynamics and trends impacting their data center,” said Dell Premier partner, Jim Andronaco, president, Sidepath. “Dell delivers an all-encompassing customer experience that’s powered at the core by the PowerEdge server portfolio. By partnering with Dell, customers can be confident in the future of their data center, one of the most important investments they can make.”
CASA improves information integrity for better public safety, reduced economic loss
The Engineering Research Center for Collaborative Adaptive Sensing of the Atmosphere (CASA) is a multi-sector partnership across academia, industry and government that is dedicated to engineering weather-sensing networks. Dell PowerEdge 13th generation servers support CASA’s installation of radars in the Dallas-Fort Worth area to help improve hazardous weather forecasts, warnings and responses in a densely populated urban environment.
“CASA is dedicated to revolutionizing the ability to observe, understand, predict and respond to hazardous weather events,” said Brenda Philips, co-director, CASA, University of Massachusetts, Amherst. “With Dell PowerEdge servers, we have improved resolution, sensitivity, accuracy, and timeliness of information, as well as gained greater ability to support multiple users and applications. As a result, we can help increase public safety and reduce weather-related economic losses.”
Star Kay White makes food flourish with efficient, reliable, secure server solution
Star Kay White is a 125-year-old ice-cream flavoring manufacturing company that provides ingredients to global food companies. After 10 years of steady growth, the company needed to increase productivity, protect data and avoid downtime, so it migrated all of its applications from individual servers to fully virtual environments running on Dell PowerEdge R630 and R730 servers. Their end-to-end Dell solution also includes Dell storage, networking, firewalls, support and Dell Education Services as well as desktops, laptops and tablets.
“Little by little, we continue to take steps to increase our efficiency, reliability and security,” said Mikko Peltoniemi, Director of IT at Star Kay White. “With the Dell servers as a foundation, we now have a flexible platform that can support how we want to evolve our business. It’s nice being able to depend on Dell as a strategic partner to provide the information and technologies we need to future-proof our business so we can continue to provide ingredients for many of the world’s most recognized food manufacturers.”
- Improved Processor performance:
- The PowerEdge R730 with the E5-2699 v4 processor delivered industry leading performance with a score of 21,050 a 27.6% performance improvement from previous generation running the SAP SD 2 Tier (Linux) benchmark
- In addition, The E5-2699 v4 processor on the PowerEdge platform R630 can provide up to 30% uplift on the SPECint_rate_base2006 benchmarking and 22.1% uplift in performance on SPECfp_rate_base2006 benchmarking
- Fastest industry processor available: Support for the E5-2689 v4 on the R730 with Dell differentiated air-cooled support (a competitive advantage over liquid cooled solutions)
- Next-generation memory 2400 MTs: The E5-2699 v4 processor on the PowerEdge platform R630 can provide up to 11.8% uplift in performance on the STREAM (MB/s) benchmarking (memory bandwidth performance benchmark)
Availability and Additional Information:
- The Dell PowerEdge 13th generation servers are available now with updated Intel technology: R730, R730xd, R630, T630, M630, FC630, C4130, C6320.
- For more information about Dell PowerEdge servers, please visit dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/poweredge-13g-server.
- For more information on PowerEdge FX2 customer adoption, please visit here.
You can find more STH launch day coverage here:
- Intel Xeon E5-2600 V4 Line-up and Architectural Overview
- Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 Benchmarks
- Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 Benchmarks
- Intel DC P3700 and D3600 dual port NVMe
- Intel DC P3520 and DC P3320 NVMe SSDs
Subscribe to STH to get the latest benchmarks and platform reviews as they are published. We have a huge back log of content coming.