How to remove a drive in Windows Home Server
Sometimes you may want to uninstall a drive that you have connected to your Windows Home Server. WHS makes this easy and this guide and video tutorial will take you through the necessary steps to remove a drive without losing data. I had a colleague ask me how to do this so I figured that I would update the guide for others seeking help.
Please note: If you are passing disks through to a Hyper-V virtual machine or a RAID controller, this guide only covers the WHS portion, not extracting the drive from the virtual machine or RAID array.
- Login to your Windows Home Server using the Windows Home Server Console
- Go to Server Storage
- Select the drive that you want to remove/ uninstall
- Ensure that there is enough free space on the server so that the drive being removed can have its data transferred to the remaining storage pool
- Either click “Remove” from the menu or right click the drive and select the “Remove” option
- Click Next
- Click Next
- Click Finish
- Go do something as the data is transferred off of the drive to be removed, it will likely take a few hours. Just let the WHS be during this process and realize that the share folders and backup service will be unavailable while the data is being copied.
- Remove the drive
That’s it! Enjoy.