HPE has updated its HPE ProLiant Gen9 server family to support the new Intel Xeon E5-2600 V4 processor family. HPE’s ProLiant Gen9 servers are extremely popular and the update is what we would expect from one of Intel’s premier launch partners. Aside from the launch announcements with the new processors and new NVMe SSDs, HPE is hlighlighting the HPE Persistent Memory portfolio. This is not 3D XPoint, instead these are NVDIMMs that can move data from RAM to NAND in the event of a power failure. We previously reviewed a similar NVDIMM technology, however the HPE solutions are generations newer. Here is the HPE press release.
PALO ALTO, CA–(Mar 31, 2016) – Today, Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) (NYSE: HPE) debuted new compute platforms with built-in support for Persistent Memory, a technology that combines the performance of high-speed memory and the persistence of storage to deliver new levels of application performance. HPE also announced new HPE ProLiant Gen9 server options and related solutions to help enterprise customers modernize their data centers.
With today’s announcement, HPE builds on its industry leadership in compute technology and sets customers on a path towards Memory-Driven Computing. HPE’s new ProLiant Gen9 servers, which integrate Persistent Memory technology, accelerate service delivery, boost application performance and secure business transactions.
“As the industry’s leading server vendor, HPE is committed to bringing new infrastructure innovations to the market that enable organizations to derive more value from their data,” said Peter Schrady, senior vice president and general manager HPE ProLiant Servers and Enterprise & SMB Segments. “We are delivering on that commitment by delivering a complete Persistent Memory hardware and software ecosystem into our server portfolio, as well as delivering enhancements that will allow customers to increase agility, protect critical information and deliver new applications and services more quickly than ever before.”
HPE Compute for Hybrid Workloads and Environments
New solutions and technologies for the HPE ProLiant Gen9 portfolio provide organizations with a range of compute innovations that are designed for optimized performance in a hybrid infrastructure environment:
- HPE Persistent Memory. The new HPE ProLiant Gen9 servers are optimized for the first product in the HPE Persistent Memory portfolio, the HPE 8GB NVDIMM. This technology is designed to accelerate database and analytic workloads and is ideal for any applications that are constrained by traditional storage bottlenecks. The HPE 8GB NVDIMM is designed around industry-standard NVDIMM-N technology, working with standards bodies such as JEDEC and SNIA, and includes back-up power from the HPE Smart Storage Battery, which supports up to 16 NVDIMMs for moving data from DRAM to Flash when power is lost.HPE is working with industry operating system and application providers to enable the software ecosystem for HPE Persistent Memory offerings and to simplify implementation for HPE ProLiant server customers
- New Intel® Xeon platform. Designed to support up to 22 cores and memory speeds of up to 2400MT/s, the new Intel Xeon® E5-2600 v4 processor offers up to 25 percent performance gains for HPE ProLiant Gen9 servers. The Intel® Xeon E5-2600 v4 processors include virtualization enhancements, added security and improved orchestration capabilities to help customers better manage shared platform resources. With these new processors, HPE has achieved several new #1 server benchmark performance positions in multiple categories, including results with Industry-First Big Data TPC Express Benchmark Big Bench (TPCx-BB), SPECjbb2015-Composite, SPECjbb2015-Distributed, and TPC-H.
- Fast data transfer with high-speed DRAM in multiple configurations. HPE DDR4 2400 MHz memory is available in a variety of capacities starting at 8GB. For highest performance environments, HPE 128GB LRDIMMs offer extra density that delivers up to 23 percent better performance.
- State of the art solid state drives (SSDs). HPE NVMe SSDs are compact, economical and offer up to 2TB of storage in a flexible package that includes Express Bay for front access to drives that are designed for big-ticket jobs, including online transaction processing, business intelligence and Big Data analytics.
- Smart authentication. Adding TCG Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 specification 1.16 to HPE ProLiant Gen 9 servers provides a tamper-resistant environment to prevent unauthorized access to servers. TPM supports Microsoft BitLocker, which securely stores authentication elements, such as passwords and encryption keys.
- HPE Application Migration to Cloud Solution. Secure, tested and validated reference architecture delivered by HPE Technology Services experts to help customers migrate on-premises applications to a private cloud.
“The new Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v4 product family offers customers the performance, orchestration and security features they need to adopt cloud computing with confidence,” said Lisa Spelman, vice president of Marketing, Intel Data Center Group. “Hewlett Packard Enterprise and Intel have been strong collaborators since the earliest days of our server business, and innovative products like the ProLiant Gen9 portfolio will accelerate enterprise’s transition to the cloud.”
HPE also offers consulting and support services to help customers accelerate their journey to hybrid infrastructure. From strategy to deployment to ongoing optimization and support, HPE has the expertise to partner with customers at every stage.
“As the biggest communications service provider in Turkey, Turkcell needs agility in order to quickly provide rich services to our customers, so we are focused on modernizing our data center to gain a competitive edge,” said Murat Akkaya, Infrastructure Resource Planning Expert, Turkcell. “With HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen9 servers, powered by the new Intel Xeon E5-2600 v4 processors and game-changing HPE Persistent Memory, our compute journey has taken a critical leap forward, resulting in reduced deployment time for new business services as well as increased database transactions by up to 2x faster.”
Pricing and Availability
- New HPE ProLiant Gen9 server options and related solutions are now available through HPE and worldwide channel partners. The HPE partner finder can be used to find authorized channel partners.
- Pricing will vary based on HPE ProLiant Gen9 server model and customer configurations.
- HPE 8GB NVDIMM will be available in May 2016 for initial support on HPE ProLiant DL360 and DL380 Gen9 servers with Intel E5-2600 v4 processors.
You can find more STH launch day coverage here:
- Intel Xeon E5-2600 V4 Line-up and Architectural Overview
- Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 Benchmarks
- Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 Benchmarks
- Intel DC P3700 and D3600 dual port NVMe
- Intel DC P3520 and DC P3320 NVMe SSDs
Subscribe to STH to get the latest benchmarks and platform reviews as they are published. We have a huge back log of content coming.