Today, to coincide with the Intel Xeon E7 V4 launch, the Dell PowerEdge R930 has been updated to support the newest generation of processors. Dell also announced a new line of servers, the Dell PowerEdge R830 line that supports the currently unreleased Intel Xeon E5-4600 V4 family.
The Dell PowerEdge R930 supports up to four Intel Xeon E7 V4 processors (two standard, two via a CPU riser), and is one of Dell’s highest-end servers. For applications such as Windows Server 2012 R2 datacenter, SAP HANA and etc. where the license costs can be significant, the Intel Xeon E7 V4 can save money by requiring fewer machines to be licensed and lower networking costs. The Intel Xeon E7 market is not the largest, but for those workloads that require high core counts and high amounts of RAM the Intel Xeon E7 V4 line is the current top x86 processor. As an aside, STH has been looking for an off-lease Dell PowerEdge R930 for the STH data center lab.
We are not going to discuss details on the Dell PowerEdge R830 as we are honoring the Intel embargo on the platform. [Edit – two hours after publishing this piece we got the go-ahead to name of the upcoming family of processors from Intel. We are updating the article to reflect this.]
Here is the press release from Dell:
Dell Enables Customers to Maximize Performance of Enterprise Applications and Core Business Workloads with PowerEdge Four-Socket Servers
- Dell’s broadest four-socket server portfolio includes four rack and blade options to support customers’ evolving workload requirements with flexibility and modularity
- Dell PowerEdge 13th generation four-socket servers deliver enhanced performance, versatility, security and productivity for enterprise-scale and mid-market compute environments
- Dell PowerEdge R930 with Intel Xeon E7-8890 V4 processors recently set three new SAP world- record benchmarks
ROUND ROCK, Texas, June 6, 2016 – Dell today announced performance and capability updates to its PowerEdge 13th generation four-socket server portfolio, engineered for enterprise customers with large scale server deployments to solutions requirements for remote and branch offices. Designed to optimize performance for big data and real-time analytics and dense virtualization deployments the updated PowerEdge servers enable the flexibility, scalability and manageability of customers’ demand for the future-ready enterprise.
“Customers today are looking for highly virtualized data centers that can easily manage evolving workloads; this coupled with a growing demand for big data analytics will drive the growth of the four-socket server market.” said Ashley Gorakhpurwalla, general manager and vice president, Dell Server Solutions. “Dell’s customer-inspired four-socket servers are designed to offer world-class performance that accelerate core enterprise application performance while increasing density and workload consolidation.”
Intensive workload optimization to drive faster business results with the Dell PowerEdge R930
Shipping today and utilizing the power and unique hardware-enhanced capabilities of the new Intel Xeon processor E7-8800 v4 family like Intel Run Sure Technology, the Dell PowerEdge R930 server helps customers quickly deploy database intensive applications, easily scale up and better manage infrastructure and mission-critical workload delivery.
The PowerEdge R930 enables customers with:
- Industry-leading in-memory database performance: The Dell PowerEdge R930 with Intel Xeon E7-8890 V4 processors recently set three new world-record benchmarks:
- A world-record result on the standard benchmark for the SAP HANA platform, SAP BW advanced mixed load (BW-AML) with 2 billion records. This new record is a 24.77 percent improvement over the previous 4-socket world record, which was set by the Dell PowerEdge R930 with E7v3 processors[i]
- A world-record result on the standard benchmark for SAP HANA platform, SAP BW advanced mixed load (BW-AML) with 4 billion records. This new world record is a 23.06 percent improvement over the previous 4-socket world record, which was set by the Dell PowerEdge R930 with E7v3 processors[ii]
- A new world record result on the SAP sales and distribution (SD) standard application benchmark. This new world record is a 33.09 percent increase over the previous 4-socket world record, which was set by the Dell PowerEdge R930 with E7v3 processors[iii]
- Optimized data base performance: The PowerEdge R930 with MSFT SQL Server 2016, as well as its built-in high performing data warehouse, have processing power required for virtualization and memory-intensive application workloads for database. PowerEdge R930 with the Dell Compellent SC9000 All Flash Array, MS SQL Server 2016 data-warehousing and Emulex’s latest fiber channel 16G Gen 6 delivered 99.4 percent greater storage throughput and 44% faster IOPs than the legacy Emulex 8G Gen 5 fiber channel solutionIV
Greater flexibility and scalability with the new Dell PowerEdge R830
PowerEdge R830 is a foundational four-socket rack server designed for database applications, scale-out virtualization and VDI environments. With a 2U rack server form factor it is ideal for mainstream and mid-market customers standardized on a rack form factor. The Dell PowerEdge four-socket server portfolio is now the company’s most comprehensive with the addition of the PowerEdge R830 featuring Intel Xeon processor E5-4600 V4 product family.
With four processors and up to 48 DIMMS the PowerEdge R830 provides:
- An optimum combination of scalability, flexibility and density for both scale-out virtualization deployments as well as VDI deployments
- A great balance across compute, memory and overall cost for customers running computational or transactional Microsoft SQL or Oracle databases standardized on rack form factors
This four-socket extension of the Intel Xeon processor E5 family gives customers more options and greater flexibility for scaling their infrastructure and growing business in a hardware-enhanced security environment.
Dell PowerEdge modular four-socket servers
Dell’s four-socket server portfolio is engineered to provide customers with platform choice to best support their data center density, scalability, manageability and flexibility needs. In addition to the PowerEdge R930 and R830 rack servers, Dell is updating its PowerEdge FX2 and PowerEdge M1000e converged platforms with the PowerEdge FC830 and the PowerEdge M830 blade servers featuring the Intel Xeon processor E5-4600 V4 family.
The PowerEdge FC830 is a full-width, four-socket compute node for the PowerEdge FX architecture that helps organizations quickly configure complete workloads using modular building blocks of IT resources. This converged platform provides twice the four-socket density of any solution in the industry, making it ideal for Oracle RAC or dense four-socket deploymentsV.
The PowerEdge M830 blade server is a full-height, four-socket blade server that offers maximized data-center consolidation delivering vast amounts of compute.
Customer and Partner quotes:
“While looking for a suitable infrastructure partner for ERP solutions on SAP HANA, we decided to engage with Dell to understand their offerings as a market leader in the space. We were impressed by the flexibility and ease of deployment of Dell’s server, storage and networking architecture. Our requirement was holistic – we needed a compact, flexible & scalable SAP Infrastructure coupled with a solution provider known for ‘Service Excellence’. We chose Dell as our preferred infrastructure partner and we are confident that we made the right decision.” – Milan Khurana, CHRO, Prestige Constructions
“As a channel partner, we are constantly looking at offering customers technology solutions that address their data center needs to help drive business impact.” said Dell Premier Partner Jason Myers, Regional Vice President – Southwest Region, FusionStorm. “Dell’s four-socket server solutions deliver faster performance, quicker access to real-time insights and extreme flexibility to scale up and scale out infrastructure. With this technology investment customers can future-proof their data centers.”
“The Intel Xeon processors E7-8800 v4 family offers industry leading performance, new hardware enhanced security capabilities, a broad range of advanced reliability features and leading per-socket memory capacity. These servers tackle the most data-demanding mission critical workloads and enable our customers to gain rapid actionable insights from massive data sets” said Lisa Spelman, vice president and general manager of Intel Xeon Products and Data Center Marketing Group.
Availability and additional Information:
The PowerEdge R930, 4S/4U rack sever is available today, with the Intel Xeon processor E7-8800 v4 family. The PowerEdge R830 rack server and PowerEdge FC830 and M830 blade servers will be aligned to Intel Xeon processor E5-4600 V4 availability later in June.
[i] Results of the Dell PowerEdge R930 with E7v4 processors on the SAP BW-AML benchmark at 2 billion initial records: 29,560 advanced query navigation steps. The SAP certification number 2016026 can be found at the following Web page: www.sap.com/benchmark
[ii] Results of the Dell PowerEdge R930 with E7v4 processors on the SAP BW-AML benchmark at 4 billion initial records: 18,440 advanced query navigation steps. The SAP certification number 2016026 can be found at the following Web page: www.sap.com/benchmark
[iii] Results of the Dell PowerEdge R930 with E7v4 processors on the SAP SD SAPS benchmark: 226,300 SAPS. The SAP certification number 2016028 can be found at the following Web page: www.sap.com/benchmark
i,ii,iii Based on internal Dell testing using the SAP benchmark, certified in May 2016 by SAP Benchmark Council, Cert # 2016019
iv Based on preliminary 3rd party testing results by Demartek and commissioned by Dell, June 2016, comparing the Dell R930 server configured with the new Emulex LPe 31000 16G FC Gen 6, attached to Dell Compellent SC9000 All Flash Array, running the SQL 2016 Data Warehousing workload benchmark, against the same Dell R930 configured with the current shipping Emulex LPe 15002B 8G FC Gen5 (406-BBHK). The similar testing was repeated with the new Emulex LPe32000 32G FC versus the current
V Based on Dell internal competitive analysis May 2016