Testing Update – Timeline, New SSDs, AMD Socket AM3 with USB 3.0 and SATA 3
I have decided to post a little roadmap of what’s next on the site. I am a list making person, so this will hopefully keep me goal oriented. The next few weeks I will be focusing on some Windows Home Server add-in reviews and guides, some Linux/ OpenSolaris on Hyper-V guides, and some hardware testing. Other potential thoughts I have are to write up how to get decent network performance from a WHS (i.e. over 90MB/s which it seems like there are people who can’t figure this out). I may also move into trying some ESXi virtualization guides, some FreeBSD/ OpenSolaris ZFS guides, and some hardware reviews and benchmarks.
I also have been purchasing a few new pieces of hardware in the last few days:
- Dell PowerConnect 2724 (I am using other PowerConnect 27xx products so this makes life easy)
- Another Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad NIC
- AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (may return this weekend)
- MSI 890GXM-G65 mATX motherboard (may return this weekend)
- Two Intel X25-V 40GB Drives
- 8GB of G.Skill DDR3 1600
Guides and Reviews Almost Complete
The below is a list of articles that I am in some stage of writing.
- ASoft AutoExit Windows Home Server Add-in Review (this week as I am just finishing it up)
- OpenFiler on Hyper-V guide. This was promised awhile ago, I just need to sit and write the guide. (early next week)
- An update on the Big Windows Home Server as it has been too long, and it now occupies over 8U of space! (next week)
Possible Next Reviews and Guides
- OpenSolaris on Hyper-V
- EON Storage on Hyper-V
- Intel X25-V in Raid 0
- Getting over 90MB/s speeds from a WHS over Gigabit Ethernet.
- Norco RPC-4220 v. RPC-4020 review
- Build your own Direct Attached Storage (DAS)
- USB 3.0 enclosures
- Other WHS Add-in reviews
Please feel free to leave a comment if there is something you would specifically like to see. I will probably set up a new test box or two this weekend so any input will help me decide how and what to build.