Synology DSM 4.3 Beta Released for Synology NAS Environments
Today Synology released their Disk Station Manager 4.3 in beta form. The Synology DSM 4.3 beta adds a few key features to the Synology platform. Based on the last few DSM releases we are seeing both a regular release schedule as well as continuous upgrades for existing platforms. With the Synology DSM 4.3 Beta, Synology has two main areas of focus: updating file sharing and consumer features, such as support for Roku TV; and adding new features to update business usage scenarios such as increasing iSCSI performance and link aggregation for Synology High Availability. Further, the Synology DSM 4.3 Beta includes a Cloud Station client for Linux, which is important as Linux adoption has grown rapidly lately.
An exciting Synology DSM 4.3 beta feature for power users is the addition of TRIM support for SSDs. TRIM support allows users to pick SSDs based on overall capacity, cost and performance for their application without having to overweight garbage collection routines to maintain performance. This is something that even LSI based SAS controllers do not have. TRIM is something that Synology does get by utilizing a SATA architecture over SAS in their devices. Furthermore, ODX is targeted at improving iSCSI performance which is certainly an enterprise feature.
The Synology DSM 4.3 beta press release and links to download are below. Again, do remember this is a beta so it is generally wise to test on a non-production environment.
Synology Unveils DiskStation Manager (DSM) 4.3 beta for Network Attached Storage
Bellevue, Washington—Synology America Corp. is excited to announce the public beta of the latest DiskStation Manager operating system, with DSM 4.3 beta. In this release, the DSM is building on its award-winning interface with a multitude of new and useful features for Synology network attached storage (NAS). Enthusiast users will find plenty in this beta to enhance their productivity.
“A number of popular applications have been revamped to take advantage of the DSM 4.3 beta,” said Jason Bonoan, Marketing Manager at Synology America Corp. “Application support has been strengthened, including new ways to manage and share media.”
With the new Cloud Station, the private cloud has gotten even better. Cloud Station, in DSM 4.3 beta, lets you choose which documents and/or file types you want to keep synched across devices. Additionally, Linux users now get a Cloud Station client as well.
Photo Station has been upgraded to version 6. Photo Station now allows photos to be viewed in a variety of dynamic ways, whether that be the mosaic-like wall format, or grouped via date; the photos in your library are front and center to the new Photo Station experience.
Synology’s Video Station has been updated too. In addition to support for Roku TV, videos now have more granular control; as well as definable permissions.
DSM 4.3 beta makes Synology among the first NAS manufacturers to offer TRIM support. TRIM allows for more efficient SSD maintenance; extending the useable life of solid-state drives, keeping performance at optimal levels.
Other notable features include:
- Offload Data Transfer (ODX) – Increases iSCSI storage performance when used with Windows 2012 Servers
- SSD caching from any tray in XS and XS+ models – Expand the pool of fast access data by using spare bays for SSD caching.
- Full Link Aggregation Support with Synology High Availability (SHA) – Enables significantly faster communication between SHA clusters.
- Now Cloud Station backup saves the portion of a file that has been changed, making for more efficient use of your storage
- Folder level link sharing. Generate a direct download link for individual files or whole folders.
- New mobile apps – New interfaces and features for iOS, and Android. Now Windows phone System users can get almost all of the same features and benefits as Android and iOS.
DSM 4.3 beta is Synology’s most versatile and dynamic version yet. See what else the beta has to offer and get started with it here:
Remember to test hard for a chance to win one of three DS213j’s.
Find out more at:
Applicable Synology Models
Applied Models for DSM & Packages
- 13-series : DS213+, DS413, DS213, DS413j, DS213air, DS2413+, DS713+, RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS213j
- 12-series : DS712+, DS212, DS212+, DS212j, RS212, RS812, DS1512+, DS1812+, DS3612xs, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, DS112j, DS112, DS412+, RS812+, RS812RP+, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, DS112+
- 11-series : RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, RS2211+, RS2211RP+, RS411, DS3611xs, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS411, DS411j, DS411slim, DS211+, DS211, DS211j, DS111
- 10-series : RS810+, RS810RP+, DS1010+, DS410, DS410j, DS710+, DS210+, DS210j, DS110+, DS110j
Applied Models for Packages Only
- 9-series : RS409+, RS409RP+, RS409, DS509+, DS409+, DS409, DS209+II, DS209+, DS209, DS109+, DS109, DS409slim
- 8-series : RS408, RS408-RP, DS508, DS408